The ASTI is to ballot teachers over what they say is a failure to properly implement safety measures since schools reopened.
The union says it’s unacceptable that some of its members have been asked to work in crowded classrooms.
The meeting heard that ASTI members have serious concerns about the health and safety of school communities. Issues raised include:
- Physical distancing in schools
- Provision of PPE
- The definition of close contacts
- Comprehensive testing and testing turnaround times
- Provisions for high risk teachers
- IT resources for students and teachers to facilitate remote teaching/ learning
It’s also criticised the implementation of new work practices without consultation.
ASTI General Secretary Kieran Christie says there’s a lot of anger: