It’s also approved a scheme to pay up to 70% of a workers’ salary.

The government is expected to increase the weekly emergency COVID-19 welfare payment to €350 a week.

It’s also approved a scheme to pay up to 70% of a workers’ salary.

Part of a massive social welfare package approved at cabinet includes a significant increase in the COVID-19 unemployment payment. It’ll now go from €203 to €350 a week. Employees and the self-employed who have lost all their work because of the Coronavirus can avail of that payment.

The government has also approved a measure that will see it pay up to 70% of an employees weekly income – provided the employer pays the other 30%. That will be capped at €410 a week from the government and is designed to keep as many people in employment as possible while the crisis continues.

The government is expected to give more details on restrictions on travel and business closures sometime after 4pm today.