Doctors are warning that taking part in chilli-eating contests could have fiery consequences.

A man ended up more than a little hot under the collar after he ate the world’s hottest chilli pepper during a competition in New York.

via GIPHY

The 34 year old consumed one Carolina Reaper chilli, which is as strong as military-grade pepper spray.

He immediately began dry heaving and suffered “crushingly painful” headaches in the following days, and was rushed to hospital.

A CT scan showed several arteries in his brain had temporarily narrowed, causing severe “thunderclap” headaches.

The man’s symptoms cleared up on their own and a scan five weeks later showed his arteries had returned to their normal width.

His case was so unique it ended up in the BMJ Case Reports journal.