The RSA has issued a road safety alert following the issue of two weather warnings.
Road users are being urged to exercise caution while using the roads in the early hours tomorrow morning as Met Éireann have issued an orange weather warning for strong winds for counties Donegal and Mayo.
This warning pertains to coastal regions and high ground in these areas: Southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h overnight and early tomorrow. There is also a risk of coastal damage on exposed northwest coasts due to a combination of winds, high spring tides and high storm surge from 1am until 8am tomorrow morning.
There is also a yellow weather warning in place for Connacht, Cavan, Donegal, Clare, Kerry and Limerick as southwest winds will reach mean wind speeds between 55 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h during the period, strongest near coasts where these limits may be exceeded at times.
The RSA is asking road users to check local weather and traffic conditions and be aware of the conditions before setting out on a trip.
The RSA has the following advice for road users:
· Beware of objects being blown out onto the road. Expect the unexpected.
· Watch out for falling/fallen debris on the road and vehicles veering across the road
· Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles and motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds
· Allow extra space between you and vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists
· Drive with dipped headlights at all times
· Check tyres and consider replacing them if the thread depth is below 3mm.
· It takes longer to stop in wet conditions so slow down and leave extra space between you and the vehicle in front
· Take special care when driving behind goods vehicles as they generate a considerable amount of spray which reduces your visibility
· Be aware of the danger of aquaplaning especially on roads with speed limits of 100 km/h and 120 km/h
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
· Be seen. Wear bright clothing with reflective armbands or a reflective belt.
· Take extra care when crossing the road or cycling in extremely windy conditions as a sudden gust of wind could blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
· Walk on a footpath, not in the street. Walk on the right hand side of the road, facing traffic if there are no footpaths.